A major innovations.
A completely new engine for FB2/EPUB/MOBI books.
- Fast, energy efficient, optimized for very large books (books in millions of words).
- New typography (hanging punctuation, figured blocks, prevention of widows / orphans and a redundant char spacing).
New books cataloger.
- Returned back the model of organization of bookshelves from the first KyBook(a bookshelf is the folder on the device or Cloud Storage).
- Using of the cataloguer is optional now.
Multi-tab interface (optional, pro).
- The ability to open several books and bookshelfs in different tabs and freely switch between them (like in Safari).
- The way to work with two books or bookshelfs at the same time on the screen.
- The ability to open the book at the same time in two different reading positions on one screen.
A new engine for working with Cloud Storage.
- Optimized for work with file-books.
- Transparent Caching.
- Possibility to manually, one-touch, download a copy of a book from Cloud Storage on the device for later using in offline mode.
New interface for book reading with new cool features.
- As example: editing and automatic creation of the table of contents.
Full support for recent Apple iOS functions.
- iPhone X.
- iPad Split Screen Multitasking.
- Apple Pencil for all ebook formats (drawing annotations in EPUB, FB2, DjVu, PDF, Comics).
- iOS 11 drag & drop in bookshelfs for reordering or moving or metadata editing.
- iOS 11
Public beta-test KyBook 3 (alpha).
A list of features has not implemented yet in the alpha version:
- Please keep in mind that lots of features or is not implemented or is not available for user testing.
- The design of the application is not finished at all.
- No base interface mode, only Safari-like mode with tabs (future Pro).
- No support for PDF, audiobooks.
- Limited support for comics.
- Only Yandex Disk is supported as Cloud Storage (iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDisk, WebDav, Samba will be added in the future betas).
- No synchronization.
- No search in the Cataloguer and on the Internet.
- No support for third-party book services.
- No OPDS catalogs and Tor Network.
- No text-to-speech, autoscrolling, rapid reading, a text translation, dictionaries, summaries.
- No section for working with notes and summaries.
- No user interface for adding custom fonts, backgrounds and styles (the functions itself are already there but no interface to it yet).
Future and outlook.
Unfortunately, we are forced to begin an open testing of the very raw alpha version of the third KyBook. The reason is very trivial: lack of resources to finish the development of the KyBook 3. Start testing as early, we hope to attract attention and get help from those who are not indifferent.
You may already know what happened, but I’ll duplicate it below: On the night of 5 to 6 February we had a fire. Burned everything, apartment, documents, telephones, computers, ipads and iphones. We ran out of the house to frost at night in one linen. We were able to rescue just two computer cases (one Mac for development and one FreeBSD server), one iPhone 5s and iPad Air. We have a backup of all source code of all KyBook versions, BiLibre, all components, and the backend in the Cloud. During this week, we restored access to our data in the Cloud, got a few computer devices from our friends, and had been finished re-deploy the development environment, built the apha version of KyBook 3 and upload KyBook 3 into TestFlight. Unfortunately, for continuing development, we do not have anymore opportunities and resources.
According to our preliminary estimates, to complete the development, we need time for about three to four months and cash for $10k to $20k.
Based on the foregoing, the following options are possible:
We are open to any proposals for cooperation to finalize the third KyBook. if you have any ideas - please offer.
We are ready to consider the sale of the first KyBook with transfer app in iTunes Connect on an another account with all rights and source code. The KyBook 2 can not be transferred because of Apple’s limitations for applications using iCloud, but we still can sale of KyBook 2 source code).
And as a fallback option, we are open to suggestions for remote development, we have a vast expertise in the development of mobile applications for iOS.
We would be very grateful for any possible help. We have a shortage of absolutely everything, there is no money, no computer equipments. If you can, please improve your KyBook to Pro or tap on the ad banner in the app. Unfortunately, any additional funds that we can receive from the sales in the App Store, we will receive only via two months (Apple pays money to developers with a significant delay). Maybe you can help us with devices, some old MacBook, obsolete iMac, iPad, etc. And of course we would be greatly helped by your donation.
- Screenshots KyBook 3 alpha
- Sign in for testing KyBook 3
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org for any cooperation suggestions.
- Reference to videos and photos from the fire accident
Best regards, KyBook Team